Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Menu Planning

Last week I posted about how I have been in a groove. One of the big things that has really helped me out is menu planning. As a new wife meal planning has been a challenge to me. My mom always planed our week of meals, made a shopping list and went to the store on Saturday. She always seemed to have it together. (Thank you mom for being "Wonder Woman")

My first few months of menu planning were bumpy. I would plan a meal and something would come up and plans would have to change. Or I was always having to go to the store to pick up last minute items. But I seem to have found a system that works. Here is what I do.

1) I made a menu planning "worksheet". One side of the page has the days of the week and the food I will cook on that day. The other side of the page has lines to write out my shopping list.

2) I sit down with the menu planning worksheet and my calendar. I look to see if there are any special events (birthdays, potlucks, etc) or night I won't cook for the up coming week. I make note of these.

3) I start picking out meals. I try to alternate between chicken and beef. I'll throw in a fish or pork, but we mostly just eat chicken and beef.

4) As I pick out meals I will check the pantry to see what additional ingredients I will need and write those on the other side of the page.

5) If I get stuck and don't have any ideas of what to cook I go to my "cheat sheet". I have a single page with easy, favorite meals and I pick one.

6) I finish by checking the fridge, freezer, and pantry to see if there are any staples I need to restock and add those to my shopping list.

7) I tear the paper in half. The menu list goes on the fridge (Brett loves to see what is coming up for the week) and I take my list shopping.


More ideas and tips to come next week . . .

2 comments:

Laura said...

pretty much you're awesome . . .
and just BECAUSE i'm going to take a PICTURE of mine and post it :) hehe

The Bertram's said...

now you need to take this one step further - and post your menu. I would love to see it. I plan my meals out every Sunday - but am in a rut and make the same thing over and over, so I need some new ideas!
Love ya,
Devin